Are you guys ready for one of my FAVORITE breakfast casserole recipes ever? This low carb sausage breakfast casserole is SO good, it’s hard to believe that it’s actually keto-compliant, low-carb, nut-free, gluten-free, grain-free, primal, and sugar-free!
Casseroles make life easier. There, I said it! And with ingredients like cheese, Italian sausage, and heavy cream, it’s easy to understand why this will become a sure-hit at home.
A quick and easy low carb recipe
One of the best parts about this recipe is how EASY it is to prepare! 10 minutes of prep time, and then, for the remaining 35 minutes, the oven does all of the work.
If you’re like me, I assume your mornings are crazy hectic. Personally, as soon as my feet hit the floor, I’m in “go mode,” and I barely have that extra five minutes to sit and actually enjoy my coffee!
Now, I understand that creating a full-on casserole in the morning can seem like a daunting task, and it’s for that reason, that I’m here to tell you how to prep this casserole the night before!
This is not a drill! Just prep and cook the sausage breakfast casserole as directed, and then pop it in the fridge overnight. The next morning, simply stick it in the oven to warm! It should take about 8-10 minutes at 350 degrees to fully re-heat.
Here’s another pro tip for you: Make this casserole for those lazy weekend mornings! I mean, who wouldn’t love a delicious and comforting late-morning casserole?!
A no-sugar-added keto sausage breakfast casserole
Following a ketogenic diet involves keeping sugar intake to a minimum. Which is why this healthy breakfast casserole will fit nicely into your keto meal plan!
To maintain this guarantee, don’t forget to double check the brand of Italian sausage that you’re using, there are some brands who sneak a bit of sugar in. So, always check the ingredients before purchasing!
If you can’t seem to find any viable options at your local grocery store, check with a local butcher. They should have what you’re looking for!
Extra cheesy for extra deliciousness
In this incredible sausage breakfast casserole, I use two different types of cheeses: shredded cheddar AND shredded mozzarella. If you are feeling extra fancy, feel free to add an additional variety of shredded cheese to the top of the casserole prior to baking (just note that, if you do this, the nutrition info will change slightly).
Using a different dish size
For this egg and sausage casserole, I used a 9×9″ baking dish, so the oven temperature and cooking time were calculated based on the baking dish size.
If you do not have a 9×9″ dish, you should be able to use another dish that you have handy. However, please note that cooking temperatures and times may need to be slightly adjusted. Please be sure to keep an eye on your casserole throughout cooking to ensure that it does not overcook.
Doubling this low carb sausage breakfast casserole recipe
This recipe yields 9 delicious, heaping, flavorful servings. If you plan to serve more than 9, want a little extra for each mouth, or would like to store some leftovers for tomorrow’s meal, feel free to double the recipe!
To do this, I would recommend either using a larger baking dish, or two that measure 9×9″. Using two 9×9″ dishes will probably be the easiest option because cooking temperatures and times will not need to be adjusted.
Get ready to make the best breakfast casserole ever!
Preheat oven to 450 and coat 9×9″ baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. To a large pan over medium-high heat, add sausage and break apart with a wooden spoon. Cook sausage until browned, about 5 minutes. Remove pan from heat and discard of grease.
To a mixing bowl, add eggs, shredded cheddar, shredded mozzarella, heavy cream, salt, pepper…
…using an electric mixer, mix until well-combined.
Transfer browned sausage to the prepared baking dish.
Carefully pour egg mixture atop the browned sausage in baking dish. Then, transfer baking dish to middle oven rack and bake until edges of casserole are golden brown and bubbling, about 25-30 minutes.
Remove baking dish from oven and allow casserole to cool slightly before cutting and serving with a sprinkle of chopped fresh chives.
The perfect healthy breakfast casserole for a number of diets
As always, this Real Balanced low carb sausage breakfast casserole is compliant with a variety of diet lifestyles, making it a great option for gatherings!
- Keto and Low-Carb: This breakfast casserole contains 1.4 grams of net carbs per serving.
- Primal: Primal diet restrictions are followed throughout this recipe.
- Gluten-Free: This low carb recipe is free of all gluten products and is safe to consume for those with Celiac or other gluten intolerances.
- Grain-Free: This dish is 100% free of grain products.
- Nut-Free: This sausage filled breakfast does not contain peanuts or tree nuts.
- Coconut-Free: There are no coconut products included within this recipe.
- Sugar-Free: This recipe does not contain sugar or added sweeteners.
Looking for more keto breakfast recipes? Try these!
- 3-Ingredient Bacon and Egg Muffins
- Keto Breakfast Muffins
- Flourless Pumpkin Spice Pancakes
- Keto Coffee Cake
Looking for more free recipes?
Do you need an easy keto breakfast recipe? If you are looking for a delicious keto breakfast recipe then you have to try my low carb sausage breakfast casserole. This keto breakfast casserole is keto, low carb and nut free.
- 1 lb ground Italian sausage
- 8 eggs
- 1 cup (112g) shredded cheddar cheese
- ½ cup (56g) shredded mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup (120mL) heavy cream
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh chives
- Preheat oven to 450 and coat 9×9″ baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- To a large pan over medium-high heat, add sausage and break apart with a wooden spoon. Cook sausage until browned, about 5 minutes. Remove pan from heat and discard of grease. Transfer browned sausage to a prepared baking dish and set aside.
- To a mixing bowl, add eggs, shredded cheddar, shredded mozzarella, heavy cream, salt, pepper and, using an electric mixer, mix until well-combined. Pour atop browned sausage in baking dish.
- Transfer baking dish to middle oven rack and bake until edges of casserole are golden brown and bubbling, about 25-30 minutes.
- Remove baking dish from oven and allow casserole to cool slightly before cutting and serving with sprinkle of chopped fresh chives.
Storage: Store casserole in airtight container in refrigerator and eat within 2-3 days.
Keywords: breakfast casserole recipes, healthy breakfast casserole, sausage breakfast casserole, egg and sausage casserole, low carb recipes, keto sausage casserole
Photo credit: Jess Larson