Welcome to Real Balanced! My name is Sara Nelson and I am a full-time keto recipe food blogger living in Wisconsin, USA.
On my site, I share tried-and-true keto-friendly and nut-free recipes that are low in carbs, simple to prepare, and extra flavorful!
In addition to recipes, I am a new mom and often publish content related to my experience with motherhood.
And, if that wasn’t enough, I also love to talk about the business of blogging, and often share my tips and tricks for running a profitable food blog!
Brief facts about Sara Nelson
- I am a 29-year-old lifelong Wisconsinite and very proud to be a Wisconsin-based blogger.
- I am a full-time food blogger and LOVE everything related to running an online business (and could talk about it for hours on end!). If you’re interested in starting a food blog, be sure to read all of my business-related posts.
- My husband, Ryan, and I have been married since December 2017. We had been planning a big wedding for September 2018, but decided to elope at the Milwaukee County Courthouse instead.
- We welcomed our baby girl, Lucy, in January 2020! You can read more about my pregnancy and experiences with motherhood here.
- We have a Boston terrier, Rowsdower, who we LOVE SO MUCH.
- I have a Bachelor’s degree in Spanish and a Master’s degree in Criminal Justice. When I began food blogging, I was finishing my Master’s degree while interning for the Mayor of Milwaukee.
- I am mildly addicted to podcasts. I listen to several hours of episodes every single day! I love topics related to true crime, current events, business, and health.
I follow a ketogenic diet that is entirely nut-free (nut-free because of allergies). After years of medical problems and thousands of dollars spent trying to get to the bottom of some serious sleep issues, allergies, and GI problems, I opted to try a keto diet and my life improved so drastically and so quickly that I’ve never looked back! Learn more about my journey to keto.
In addition to eating a low-carb diet, I also eat a diet that is free from peanuts and tree nuts (I do, however, eat coconut because it is not a true tree nut). I was diagnosed with life-threatening nut allergies in 2018. You can learn more about this unexpected and sudden food allergy diagnosis in this post.
Since I began Real Balanced, my work has been featured in major online publications, like Delish, Shape, MyFitness Pal, and The Kitchn.
I have been featured on podcasts to discuss my background, diet, and business. You can listen to all of these podcasts here:
- Eat Blog Talk: Episode 023
- Eat Blog Talk: Episode 36
- Fat For Weight Loss: Episode 33
- The Chopped Podcast: #176
- The True North Collective: Season 1, Episode 2
My favorite recipes
I am a lover of desserts, which you will likely instantly notice on my site. I enjoy making (and eating!!!) fat bombs every single day.
My favorite savory dish is 110% my Keto Zuppa Toscana. It’s THE BEST. (Yes, I’m biased, but trust me that you’d LOVE it!)
My digital cookbooks
I am the author of 6 digital cookbooks:
- “Fat Bomb Favorites”
- “Keto Dessert Favorites”
- “MINI Fat Bomb Favorites”
- “MINI Keto Dessert Favorites”
- “Keto Dinner Favorites”
- “Keto Breakfast Favorites”
All of these cookbooks contain delicious, keto-friendly recipes that are simple to make and will satisfy your cravings!
I am a blogging coach who works with bloggers to improve their site, understand the technical facets of blogging, grow their email lists, and learn how to scale a profitable business.
Note that I am not currently taking on new blog coaching clients.
Get in touch
Have a question? Just wanna say hi? I love to hear from you! Reach out to me on social media, send me a message, or send an email to hello[at]realbalanced[dot]com.
Work with me
I love collaborating with brands that share the same values as me! If you are interested in a partnership, please navigate to my Work With Me page for further information or send an email to hello[at]realbalanced[dot]com to discuss.