When I think of stuffing, my mind goes straight to Thanksgiving: the BEST holiday because FOOD! One of my favorite Thanksgiving dishes is stuffing; it is so tasty and packed with delicious holiday flavor!
With a simple, veggie-filled ingredient list, this recipe is super easy to make and is high in fiber and low in net carbs! Plus, it only takes a little over an hour to make, from prep to serving! You are going to absolutely LOVE it.
Low Carb Stuffing Recipe
Low carb dieters, listen up! This recipe is for YOU! Gone are the days that you need to pass on the holiday stuffing to properly adhere to your diet restrictions. 🙌 Since this recipe calls for cauliflower, mushrooms, celery, and a buuuuunch of other veggies INSTEAD of cornbread and starchy foods, this dish is PERFECT if you’re following a low carb, ketogenic diet!
Seriously, it is AWESOME. Not only does it taste SO good, it’s also totally nutritious. In fact, one serving contains only 5.8 grams of net carbs, virtually all of which come from vegetables. Isn’t that awesome?!
A little bit of history on stuffing
There are so many variations of stuffing out there, and over time the “traditional” version has changed drastically (in fact, did you know that, in ancient times, their version of stuffing contained chopped liver?!). The typical, Thanksgiving-served side dish that we have all grown to love, however, has been around since the early-mid 1800s.
Referred to as “dressing” in the southern United States, there are SO many variations of this holiday favorite. Frequently, a corn bread base is used, and turkey, sausage, and chicken are commonly added in as well. Our recipe is actually vegetable-based, which is perfect if you’re looking for a side dish with some extra nutrient-density.
Low carb stuffing with tasty ingredients
This low carb stuffing is absolutely jam packed with amazing ingredients. It is totally vegetable-rich with cauliflower, mushrooms, celery, leeks, and onion. It also contains a bit of pumpkin seeds! In terms of spices, minced garlic, fresh rosemary, fresh sage, celery salt, salt, and black pepper work together to truly make this dish’s taste complete.
Awesome health benefits in this cauliflower stuffing
You’ve probably heard that pumpkin seeds are pretty nutritious, but have you ever actually read up on them though? They are so beneficial and full of essential nutrients!
Full of magnesium, phosphorous, iron, zinc, and a bunch of healthy fats, pumpkin seeds are super awesome and help heart and prostate health. They’ve been shown to help protect against various cancer types, including breast cancer, AND they contain inflammatory-reducing antioxidants.
The health benefits of this dish don’t end there. Cauliflower, though often overlooked, is FULL of nutrients too! Full of Vitamins C and K, it is great for bone health and works to keep them strong. It also supports the immune system and helps to reduce high blood pressure.
This low carb stuffing is super simple to make!
Increase heat to medium heat and, to the same skillet, add celery, onion, and leek.
Sauté until softened.
Continue to sauté until all ingredients are well-incorporated and tender, breaking apart cauliflower florets as they soften, all liquid is absorbed, and cauliflower florets begin to lightly brown.
Serve hot and enjoy!
With careful ingredient selection, this recipe adheres to many different diet types
- Low Carb and Keto: Containing only 5.8 grams of net carbs per serving, this stuffing is great for keto and low carb diets!
- Paleo and Whole30: The ingredients in this dish adhere to paleo and Whole30 diet restrictions.
- Egg Free: Eggs are not used within this recipe.
- Nut Free: Free of nuts, this stuffing is safe to consume for those with nut allergies and intolerances.
- Vegetarian and Vegan: If the chicken broth is swapped for vegetable broth, this dish will be totally absent of any animal products.
- Sugar Free: No added sugars were used in this low carb stuffing.
Check out these other Real Balanced dishes
Looking for more warm, tasty side dishes from Real Balanced? Check these recipes out!
Looking for more free recipes?
Keto dieters do not have to pass up the stuffing this Thanksgiving! Here is a low carb stuffing recipe that everyone can enjoy! This Thanksgiving keto stuffing recipe is great for those following low-carb, keto, paleo, whole30, egg free, nut free, vegan and sugar-free diets! Yes! Whole30 stuffing!
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 tbsp raw pumpkin seeds
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 6 oz celery, roughly chopped
- 1 oz yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 oz leek bulb, finely chopped
- 20 oz cauliflower florets
- 8 oz mushrooms, roughly chopped
- ¼ cup chicken broth (or vegetable broth for vegetarian and vegan)
- 2 tbsp (~6g) finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 tbsp (~2g) finely chopped fresh sage
- ¼ tsp celery salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ⅛ tsp salt
- In a large skillet over medium-low heat, melt coconut oil. Add pumpkin seeds and toast until just golden, about 3 minutes. Add minced garlic and saute until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Increase heat to medium and, to the same skillet, add celery, onion, and leek and sauté until softened, about 8-10 minutes.
- Add cauliflower, mushrooms, chicken broth, rosemary, sage, celery salt, pepper, and salt and continue to sauté until all ingredients are well-incorporated and tender, breaking apart cauliflower florets as they soften, all liquid is absorbed, and cauliflower florets begin to lightly brown, about 30-35 minutes.
- Serve hot and enjoy!
Keywords: keto stuffing, low carb stuffing, whole30 stuffing