Keto Chicken Shawarma Kebabs are my new favorite way to enjoy chicken! These keto kebabs are succulent, juicy and SO delicious. This recipe is low-carb, gluten-free, grain-free, dairy-free, nut-free, sugar-free, egg-free, paleo, AND primal!
Delicious shawarma without a long prep time
In total, this recipe will take a minimum of 3 hours from start to finish to serve; however, only about 30 minutes of active time in the kitchen is required, the rest of the time is to allow the chicken to marinate.
If you want to maximize your time, a great option is to marinade your chicken the night before and allow it to marinate and chill overnight. Not only will this cut down on the time needed to whip this dish together after a long day at work, it also really enhances the flavors of the dish.
If you aren’t able to marinate your chicken overnight, you’ll want to marinate it for a minimum of two hours prior to cooking.
Alternative cooking methods for shawarma
Shawarma is typically prepared in one of two ways: baking in the oven or grilling on the grill. This recipe utilizes the oven to bake the chicken.
I created this recipe in the oven as an easy weeknight keto dinner, but you could also certainly cook these kebabs on a charcoal or gas grill!
What kind of skewers are necessary for kebabs
I personally prefer using stainless steel skewers for cooking kebabs. Be sure that when handling the skewers, you use oven mitts so you do not burn yourself.
If you don’t have stainless steel skewers, you can absolutely use wooden skewers. Just be sure to first soak them in water to prevent burning.
Spices and dip for shawarma kebabs
Like things spicy? Add more ground cayenne pepper. If you’re not a fan of heat, you can altogether omit the cayenne.
When serving, a great idea is to serve alongside a green salad and a refreshing creamy tzatziki. That’s what I did, and it was DELICIOUS! Happy dunking!
Another meat option for these kebabs? Chicken thighs!
I used chicken breasts and threaded them onto skewers, but you could also make these with chicken thighs. You can use skewers the same way, or just roast in the oven without threading onto skewers.
Cooking times vary so be sure to watch the thighs and make sure they cook through.
Net carbs in keto chicken shawarma with tzatziki
One serving of this recipe contains only 1.2 grams of net carbs per serving! Add a serving of tzatziki for just 2 grams, and your entire dish is a grand total of just 3.2 grams of net carbs.
This recipe yields three delicious, generous servings.
Storing this chicken shawarma recipe
This dish is easy to store when you have leftovers or if you made a double batch! It will last in the refrigerator for up to three days. Simply store in an airtight container, and you should be good to go!
Make this Chicken Shawarma Kebabs with Tzatziki for dinner!
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Cut the chicken breasts into cubes, about 1 inch x 1 inch pieces.
Combine the marinade ingredients in a bowl or freezer bag. Add the chicken to the marinade and make sure each piece is fully coated. Marinate for at least 2 hours, ideally overnight to let the flavors infuse.
Thread marinated chicken breast cubes on to the skewers until you have 3 equal servings.
If serving, make the tzatziki and store in the fridge until ready to serve.
Line a baking tray with parchment paper. Place the chicken kebabs on the tray and roast in the oven for 30 minutes or until cooked through and golden. Turn halfway through for even cooking.
Remove chicken from oven and allow chicken to rest for 3-4 minutes before serving with tzatziki. Add a small salad to the side for an added meal component!
Keto shawarma complies with a bunch of diets
- Keto and Low-Carb: With only 1.2g net carbs per skewer, these kebabs are totally low-carb!
- Paleo: This recipe is paleo-compliant.
- Primal: Keto chicken shawarma follows primal diet guidelines.
- Gluten-Free: This recipe is free from gluten. It’s a great option for those with Celiac or other gluten intolerances.
- Grain-Free: Similarly, this recipe is free of grains.
- Nut-Free: Nuts are not required for this chicken recipe.
- Dairy-Free: This recipe does not call for any dairy products.
- Egg-Free: Eggs are not used to create this dish.
- Sugar-Free: These kebabs are free of sugar and sweeteners.
On the hunt for more delicious keto chicken recipes?
There are SO many more where this came from! If you loved this keto chicken shawarma recipe, you’ll also want to try:
Looking for more free recipes?
These Keto Chicken Shawarma Kebabs are so flavorful and delicious! Add a serving of tzatziki on the side for a perfect low-carb dinner with the family!
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (~544g)
- 2 tbsp (28g) olive oil
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp lemon zest
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp turmeric
- 1/16 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/16 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp chopped fresh parsley or dill
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Cut the chicken breasts into cubes, about 1 inch x 1 inch pieces.
- Combine all the marinade ingredients in a bowl or ziplock bag. Add the chicken to the marinade and make sure each piece is fully coated. If using a ziplock bag, place the chicken in the bag, squeeze out the air, seal, and massage until chicken is fully coated in marinade. Marinate chicken for at least 2 hours, ideally overnight to let the flavors infuse.
- Thread marinated chicken breast on the metal skewers until you have 3 equal servings.
- Prepare tzatziki if you plan to serve chicken with a side sauce. Store tzatziki in the fridge covered with a lid or plastic wrap until ready to use.
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper. Place the kebabs on the tray and roast in the oven for 30 minutes or until cooked through and golden. Turn chicken halfway through for even cooking.
- Remove chicken from oven and allow chicken to rest for 3-4 minutes before serving with tzatziki. Add a small salad to the side for an added meal component!
Chicken Breast Substitution: In this recipe, I use chicken breasts, but chicken thighs will also work. Simply thread the chicken thighs on to skewers and bake the same way. Cooking times may vary slightly so be sure the meat is cooked to 165 degrees.
Skewers: I prefer to use stainless steel skewers for this recipe. Be sure to not touch the skewers while they bake unless you are wearing oven mitts. You can also use wooden skewers for this recipe, but be sure to soak them in water first so they don’t burn during the cooking process.
Alternative Cooking Method: I created this recipe in the oven for an easy weeknight keto dinner but they’re also delicious on the grill.
Fridge Storage: I love these kebabs fresh from the oven but you can place the cooked meat in an airtight storage container and store in the refrigerator. Eat within 2-3 days.
Serving Options: Pair these kebabs with my favorite tzatziki and a small side salad.
Keywords: keto kebabs, chicken shawarma recipe, keto chicken shawarma, chicken kebabs