This Keto Chili Con Carne is an incredibly savory dish that’s low on carbs and high in flavor. With minimal net carbs per serving, this delicious beef dish is keto, low-carb, paleo, dairy-free, nut-free, and refined sugar-free.
This Keto Chili Con Carne is a classic that you’ll want to make time and time again. It’s super tasty, free from high-carb beans, and not too spicy!
Keto Chili Con Carne
My keto chili con carne recipe is so easy to make. It’s a perfect one pot dish, so minimal effort is required, and washing up dishes after cooking is a breeze! It takes just 1 hour to make and when you see it nice and thick, you know it’s ready to enjoy.
I like to serve this dish with a small portion of cauliflower rice, but you could also serve it over lettuce cups for an even lower carb option. It’s great with zucchini noodles, too!
Why you need to let your chili without beans simmer
Even though this is a relatively quick keto dinner, it’s important to refrain from speeding through this recipe. Allowing the beef to cook slowly in the tomato sauce enhances the flavor.
Alternatively, using beef over chicken stock creates an even more concentrated flavor and is what makes this meal even more delicious!
Net carbs in this keto chili
Each bowl of this chili con carne keto recipe contains 6.8g of net carbs, excluding the cauliflower rice. I like to serve it with cauliflower rice or on lettuce cups with a dollop of sour cream and some chopped fresh coriander.
This recipe yields 5 servings in total. Any leftovers can be stored in the fridge or freezer and enjoyed at a later date.
What you need to make this recipe
This recipe is so simple to make. It’s just one pot! For the equipment, all you need is a non stick frying or sauté pan, wooden spoon, and a sharp knife.
This is the best keto chili con carne. It’s great for those of you who are super busy and need a wholesome dinner that’s ready in no time and with minimal effort. It’s wholesome and comforting. My kind of dinner!
Ingredient substitution options for keto chili
Everyone has their ingredient preferences, and some prefer certain things over others. For this reason, I want to touch on some possible substitution options that you may prefer. Choose those that make this dish the most “you!”
- Ground Beef: If beef isn’t your thing, feel free to substitute in ground chicken, ground turkey, or even a vegetarian-compliant protein, like tofu. Follow all remaining instructions in order to get that delicious chili flavor!
- Beef Bone Broth: Vegetable or chicken broth more your style? That’s fine! You can use either of those in place of bone broth.
How to make this recipe vegetarian and vegan
Making this recipe vegetarian-friendly is incredibly simple. To make it vegetarian, omit ground beef and use a vegetarian-friendly protein, like tofu, and, instead of beef bone broth, use vegetable broth or vegetable stock.
To make this recipe vegan-friendly, follow those same substitutions, and simply refrain from serving with sour cream.
So, although it’s not a conventional chili con carne, you can still tweak it so that it suits your lifestyle. Note that changing the ingredients will alter the texture, flavor, and time spent when cooking this recipe.
How to store chili con carne
You can store this low carb chili, once cooled, in the fridge in a sealable glass dish or airtight container for up to 3 days.
If you’d like to freeze it, you may do so for up to 2 months. Again, be sure to use an airtight container or sealable glass dish.
How to make this Keto Chili Con Carne recipe
To a large pan, add olive oil and onion and sauté on medium-low heat until softened, about 2-3 minutes.
Add beef and cook until browned, about 5 minutes, stirring and breaking the meat up with a wooden spoon. Once browned, drain and discard excess grease.
To pan of browned beef, add red pepper, minced garlic, ground coriander, ground cumin, red pepper flakes, and chipotle powder, and cook for an additional 1 minute. Stir in chopped tomatoes, tomato puree, beef bone broth, red wine, coconut aminos, salt, and pepper.
Reduce heat to low and simmer until sauce has thickened, about 30-40 minutes, stirring occasionally. Taste and adjust seasonings as necessary.
Spoon chili into bowls and serve with chopped fresh cilantro and sour cream over cauliflower rice.
Comforting and Low-Carb One-Pot Dinner
Keto chili con carne is suitable for the following diets:
- Keto and Low-Carb: One serving of this keto chili con carne recipe contains 6.8 grams of net carbs.
- Paleo and Primal: Low-carb keto chili con carne is a great Paleo dinner recipe. Simply omit the sour cream to ensure the dish is dairy-free to comply with a paleolithic diet.
- Gluten-Free and Grain-Free: This chili does not have any gluten or grain ingredients in it.
- Dairy-Free: Omit the sour cream for a dairy-free option!
- Egg-Free: This keto one pot recipe does not contain eggs or ingredients with eggs.
- Nut-Free: This recipe is nut-free.
- Sugar-Free: This chili con carne is made without sugar or sweetener.
- Vegetarian and Vegan: This no bean chili recipe can be made vegetarian and vegan by substituting in vegetable broth or vegetable stock for beef bone broth, substituting in a vegan-friendly protein, like tofu, for ground beef, and omitting the sour cream garnish.
Want more keto dinner recipe inspiration?
If you enjoy comforting dinners as much as us, try out these DELICIOUS keto dinner recipes:
- Keto Philly Cheesesteak Casserole
- Low Carb Jalapeño Popper Chicken Casserole
- Easy Keto Beef Stroganoff
- Instant Pot Keto Beef and Broccoli
- French Meat Pie
Keto One Pot Recipes
If you’re interested in trying out other keto recipes that only require one pan, we’re sure you will love these! Check out all of Real Balanced’s keto one pot dishes!
Looking for more free recipes?
Keto Chili Con Carne is a tasty and comforting dish that’s perfect for enjoying while you’re cozying up alongside friends and family. Made with delicious, flavorful ingredients, this low-carb, keto, dairy-free, nut-free, and refined sugar-free meal is one of my favorites. It takes just 1 hour to make this one-pot keto dish.
- 1 tbsp (15mL) olive oi
- ½ small yellow onion (~35g), chopped
- 18 oz ground beef
- ⅓ cup (~50g) chopped red bell pepper
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes
- ¼ tsp chipotle chili powder, or to taste
- 1 cup (260g) canned crushed tomatoes
- 1 tbsp (15g) tomato paste
- 1 cup (240 mL) beef bone broth
- ¼ cup (58g) red wine (for flavor, can be omitted)
- 1 tsp (5 mL) coconut aminos
- ¼ tsp pepper
- ¼ tsp salt, or to taste
Optional Serving Option and Garnishes:
- 2 cups cooked cauliflower rice
- ¼ cup (60g) sour cream
- 3 tbsp roughly chopped fresh cilantro
- To a large pan, add olive oil and onion and sauté on a medium-low heat until softened, about 2-3 minutes. Add beef and cook until browned, about 5 minutes, stirring and breaking the meat up with a wooden spoon. Once browned, drain and discard excess grease.
- To pan of browned beef, add red pepper, minced garlic, ground coriander, ground cumin, red pepper flakes, and chipotle powder, and cook for an additional 1 minute. Stir in chopped tomatoes, tomato puree, beef bone broth, red wine, coconut aminos, salt, and pepper.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer until sauce has thickened, about 30-40 minutes, stirring occasionally. Taste and adjust seasonings as necessary.
- Spoon chili into bowls and serve with chopped fresh cilantro and sour cream over cauliflower rice.
Ground Beef Substitution: Substitute in ground chicken or ground turkey for ground beef at a 1:1 ratio. Note that this substitution will affect the final nutritional content.
Beef Bone Broth Substitution: Vegetable broth, vegetable stock, chicken broth, or chicken stock can be substituted in for beef bone broth at a 1:1 ratio. Note that this substitution will affect the final nutritional content.
Vegetarian and Vegan Ingredient Substitutions: To make this recipe vegetarian, sub in your favorite vegetable-based protein and substitute vegetable stock or vegetable broth in for beef bone broth. To make this recipe vegan, follow the same instructions for making the dish vegetarian, as well as omitting the sour cream.
Refrigerator Storage: Store chili in the refrigerator in an airtight container and eat within 3 days.
Freezer Storage: Store chili in the freezer in an airtight container for up to 2 months. When ready to serve, simply allow chili to thaw overnight in the refrigerator and then reheat on the stovetop over medium heat until warmed throughout.
Keywords: keto chili con carne, keto chili con carne recipe, best keto chili con carne, chili con carne keto diet