Mini hot dogs wrapped in dough. What’s more to love?! Pigs-in-a-Blanket are probably one of the easiest appetizers you can throw together for a work event, when people are coming over, or for halftime of a football game.
The problem with the traditional recipe is that it’s full of unhealthy ingredients including, of course, added sugar.
Here are the ingredients in Pillsbury Crescent Rolls, including fractionated palm oil, monoglycerides, diglycerides, TBHQ, sugar, and dextrose:
And here are the ingredients in Oscar Meyer Premium Beef Franks, including corn syrup and dextrose:
In both the crescent rolls and the hot dogs, there is some form of added sugar. I don’t know about you, but I don’t remember the last time I hoped that my Pigs-in-a-Blanket had just a little more sugar in them….
So, we’ve come up with a way to whip up these little rolls of goodness in only a few minutes and without any added sugar or gluten.
The most important part of this recipe is the hot dogs. Normally, any brand of a particular ingredient is fine, but, in this case, we’d highly recommend Applegate Farms The Great Organic Uncured Hot Dog. Why? Because the ingredients are clean, there’s no added sugar, and because honestly, they just taste THAT GOOD. They are more expensive than your traditional hot dog brand but, we promise that they are worth it. You can find the Applegate hot dogs and other products near in the hot dog section of most grocery stores. We’ve found them at Trader Joe’s, Whole Foods, Meijer, and Pick ‘n Save, with them being the cheapest at Pick ‘n Save.
Here are the ingredients for the Applegate Farms The Great Organic Uncured Hot Dog:Print
- 1 16 oz. package Applegate Farms The Great Organic Uncured Hot Dog
- 11 corn tortillas
- 48 toothpicks
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- With a pizza cutter or knife, slice off rounded edges of corn tortillas so you are left with a square.
- Cut tortillas down the middle so you are left with two rectangular pieces per tortilla.
- Cut each hot dog into three even pieces.
- Place tortillas in microwave for 20 seconds (be sure not to put them in there too long, otherwise they’ll rip when rolling).
- Roll each small piece of hot dog in a corn tortilla strip and toothpick to hold.
- Place rolled hot dogs on baking sheet and bake in oven for 6-10 minutes. Watch to ensure that tortillas don’t burn.
- Remove from oven and serve immediately with my Sugar-Free Ketchup.